Friday, January 17, 2014

Drama Queen with Seoul: An Introduction



Hello!!! 안녕하세요 Annyeonghaseyo!!!

I am known by many names, Danielle, Daneeyell, Miss Danielle (or Miss Daniel for some of my students who mispronounce), Miss Dawkins, Dawkins, Dani, Dani D. or Dani D. the Princess of Delaware…

… But for my fellow Drama Lovers I am: Noona (what a younger man/boy would call his older sister) or Unni (what a younger woman/girl would call an older sister).

K-Drama (Korean Drama, i.e. South Korean soap opera, telenovela) hit me hard and I fell in love. I was already a fan of all things of Asian Culture, especially that of Japan as I am a huge Power Ranger/Super Sentai fan, a fan of the Japanese artist Hokusai, and a fan/writer of Haiku. Even so I was skeptical of Koreans, primarily because of North Korea. Growing up I just felt that it was taboo to discuss Korea, North or South. A miserable stormy boring day changed all of that. Thank God for Netflix, which can at times, cure the common boring day. Somehow, I was led to Korean TV Drama. I saw many interesting titles, but one caught my attention. “Flower Boy Ramen Shop.” Flower Boy? I wondered, what could it mean to be a Flower Boy. More than that I wondered how there was something called a ramen shop. Ramen in America is not known as an entrée in a restaurant or diner (Unless you find a Ramen Shop which are around big cities). Ramen is more like an easy and cheap meal, you make at home that takes no more than 1-5 minutes. I soon found out that our packs of oodles n noodles don’t have ANYTHING on ramen made in a Korean Ramen Shop. Ramen aside I fell in love with the drama for so many reasons and learned so much about Korean Culture at the same time. 
 
I am a writer at heart (terrible at editing so be warned). I am a teacher by nature. So, when I find something that I think is great, I have to share it with the world. I have pulled my mother, my brother and others into the Drama World. Getting my brother being the hardest to impress, involved in watching Dramas, tells me that these dramas must be pretty good. I also believe that we can learn a lot about other cultures (positives and negatives). When we  learn we can use that knowledge to be sensitive to others and try to co-exisit instead of being racist or discriminating. Basically there is nothing wrong with loving our yellow brethren. (Trust me ladies and gentlemen; there are some gorgeous Asian men and women out there).

Before taking part in this blog it is important to know where you can find Korean Drama, just in case you become intrigued by any future post. As mentioned before my journey with K-Drama began with Netflix. Please take note in the fact that Netflix changes its listing every now and then. I started a drama on Netflix and the next day when I went to look for it, they had removed it. Luckily I found a website called: DramaFever (thanks to a friend who told me about it). DramaFever has a huge collection of Dramas and is always adding more. It is also a great place for K-Drama news. Of course just when you think life is peachy, someone decides the comeback drama for your favorite Korean Celeb will not stream on Drama Fever. (Seriously, I thought I was going to go nuts!)  To cure this situation I did a google search and found Viki, another website with Korean Dramas. The great thing about Viki is that there are people working to get subtitles in MANY different languages. 

I have watched many K-Dramas and with a friend’s nudge I decided to create a blog, in which, I can do the things I love (write and teach) with what I love (Korean Dramas). If you are curious, you should definitely follow this blog as I will be reviewing the old and the new, the good and the bad (although I haven’t found many bad). K-Drama Seoul (pronounced like soul) will show you a new culture and maybe you will gain a better understanding of cultures and people in general. Overall you will be fully entertained hopefully from my blog and later from actually going to one of the mentioned sites and watching a K-Drama. 

In the words of many characters from many dramas:

화이팅 Hwaiting!!! Fighting!!!! 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment