Friday, January 17, 2014

Where it all started: Flower Boy Ramen Shop



 Drama Title: 꽃미남 라면가게 / Kkotminam Ramyeongage/ 
Flower Boy Ramen Shop 

Year: 2011

Genre: Romance Comedy

16 Episodes

For me, Flower Boy Ramen Shop was the beginning of my life as a K-Drama fan, which is quite interesting as it is said that the hit K-Drama "Boys Over Flowers" is the gateway drug of a K-Drama addiction. Not this time, but don’t worry "Boys Over Flowers" has its own special place in my heart and will certainly find a place in this blog as well. 
Flower Boy Ramen Shop definitely stamped the Korean flag right on my heart as I followed Yang Eun Bi (Lee Chung Ah), a teacher intern (student teacher) who has doubts about being a teacher, but wants to be something in society as she gets over a break up with a long- time boyfriend and also deals with some daddy daughter issues. 

BUT WAIT…

First we meet the tall, slim, pretty faced Cha Chi Soo, (Jung Il Woo) who gets out of trouble by being cute and saying something charming. Females melt in front of him as he says something random such as: “That mole, it’s pretty” and then walks away looking back and giving the female a quick wink of the eye.
After Yang Eun Bi and Cha Chi Soo meet randomly (in a female bathroom stall) as the always insecure tomboy Eun Bi looks at Cha thinking he could be around his twenties. After an encounter with her EX she takes off with the unknowing Cha Chi Soo who is more concerned with his cashmere sweater possibly being stained than acknowledging the vulnerable Eun Bi. 

It isn’t until the teacher intern goes to her first day of work after embarrassing herself by calling Cha Chi Soo “oppa” (although Oppa really means older brother, it is growing as slang for honey/sweetie) before realizing he is in fact a student. Not only is he a student he is the richest student and his father’s company owns the school.  

Another thing you will learn about K-Drama’s is that there will usually be a second male lead. I will take the time to talk all about the beloved second male lead another time but with Flower Boy Ramen Shop the second male lead is Choi Kang Hyuk (Lee Ki Woo). Throughout the show he is known as Pillar. Yes ladies this is another tall and pretty faced man. Kang is usually found sleeping in a random place. Eun Bi didn’t even know he was there for a while. 

Through unforeseen circumstances, Eun Bi, Kang and Cha Chi Soo all become involved and end up working at Eun Bi’s father’s Ramen Shop. (I don’t want to give too many spoilers).

This show grabbed my attention because it was pretty funny. I could relate to Eun Bi. When I first watched Flower Boy Ramen Shop I was getting ready to enter my student internship. She also day dreamed which I do way too often. I also understand how it feels to be getting older without a boyfriend and without any prospects of getting married as many others are well on their way to marriage.  

BUT….


As you will find as you enter your own journey into K-Drama, the flower boys will get you every time. Cha Chi Soo ultimately stole my heart as I watched this rich kid fall in love and has absolutely no idea what he is feeling. He had never had such experiences having been sheltered and initially thought he was sick. (He went to the hospital saying a fist was in his heart).  Kang was also a great face and body to look at throughout the story line. As a reasonable woman I understood how it made a lot of sense to be with someone who would stand at a pillar for you. (Hence his nickname as pillar).

Again I am not into spoilers, but there is more to Cha Chi Soo than just a cute face and money. He has some secrets as does Choi Kang Hyuk. They both share a common bond (a shocking revelation) and a love for Eun Bi. By the way President Cha, Cha Chi Soo’s father doesn’t like the idea of being involved with someone who is below them on the caste system if you know what I mean. (Another reoccurring theme in K-Dramas). 

The cast members make the show colorful and keep the storyline moving and also are the reason for the show being called Flower Boy Ramen Shop as these cute young boys all find themselves working at the shop. There are also sub-plots as other characters help to Eun Bi with her problems and their problems are revealed. 

Jung Il Woo was so magnificent to me as Cha Chi Soo, so much so, I wanted to see him in more dramas, which will lead to my next review. Without even knowing anything about K-Dramas I could see genuine acting. I mean it takes skill to have the comedic timing for certain characters and to me he did well. He also was amazing with emotional scenes. We often see Cha Chi Soo with tears welled up in his eyes.  I even named one of my dogs, Cha Chi Soo, which was approved of as I showed my mother Flower Boy Ramen Shop and she also fell in love with the show and K-Drama, now she and I usually watch K-Drama together.  Imagine that K-Drama pulls families together.   

It was intriguing to see this Noona/Dongseng situation as well.  OH the Noona/Dongseng theme…yes…another topic I will have to discuss for another day as for now, it’s the older woman/younger man relationship.  In America this drama would have been more of a tragedy than a comedy (although Cha Chi Soo is 19, therefore of age). 

Be prepared to literally laugh out loud, cry, and root for Eun Bi to find her way.  Watch and tell me what you think.  Have you already watched it? Did you love it? Did you hate it? Who was your favorite character? Who would you choose?  Why?  
In the meantime check out a few trailers: 


No comments:

Post a Comment